NISI MASA is a European network of associations, currently present in 26 countries. These associations consist of young professionals, students and enthusiasts with a common cause - European cinema.
Our main aims are:
- to discover new film talents
- to develop cross-cultural audiovisual projects
- to foster European awareness through cinema
- to create a platform of discussion and collaboration for young European filmmakers
Our main activities are:
- organising filmmaking & scriptwriting workshops
- holding various cinema-related meetings (conferences, seminars, etc.)
- promoting short films (through screenings, making of DVDs, etc.)
- editing publications (various books & a daily magazine produced during several European film festivals)
NISI MASA was founded in 2001. It is a non-profit organisation supported, amongst others, by the European Union (Youth, Civil Society & MEDIA Programmes), the Council of Europe and the European Cultural Foundation.
Why "NISI MASA"?
The name NISI MASA is a reference to 8 1/2 by Federico Fellini, in which Marcello Mastroianni repeats the phrase "Asa Nisi Masa". The film, a European cinema classic, and the sentence, an incantation belonging to no specific language, both reflect the cinematic and cross-border spirit of the network.